WordPress is more than half a million blogs strong. In the face of this extraordinary growth, fueled by some extraordinary bloggers, I thought I’d issue a challenge to all of you BestBlog readers and editors: Let’s find and feature some great blogs this month. And let’s try to get one up every day. It’s December — in a lot of places it’s a bit dreary and the holidays can only do so much to rescue the drabness of this time of year. (In fact, sometimes the holidays make things worse.) Maybe seeing some new, fresh blogs will take our minds off whatever’s looking a little dark these days.
The other editors can pitch in or not, depending on their schedules, but I want to say that I’m feeling ready for something like this: I’ve had a break, gotten through some tough things, and now seems like as good a time as any to tell the world about the many terrific people who blog on WordPress.
Where will we find these blogs?
- tags — we’ll be checking out interesting tags and bloggers who show up under them
- the WordPress forums — the folks who hang out in the forums are doing some very good work on behalf of the WordPress community and their blogging’s pretty special too. It’s time to feature some of them!
- links, links, links: we’ll be looking back at BestBlog alums and checking out who they’re reading
- blog directories: WordPressers are out there in the world, showing up in places like BlogBurst, and BlogHer and 9Rules.
- comments: we’ll be looking at your comments (just like Santa’s watching to see whether you’re naughty or nice): if you’re leaving smart, interestingly naughty or nice comments, chances are you have a great blog
- that “next” button still works! we’ll be using it.
- random google searches: we’ll be typing in “wordpress” and a string of words that amuse us (how about dog walkers of the world unite?) and see what comes up.
- YOU — drop us an email (bestblogonwordpress (at) yahoo (dot) com) and direct us to your favorite passionately written, interesting, quirky, funny, maddeningly controversial, beautifully designed site. We’ll take a look at the site. We can’t promise to feature it, but we will promise to give it more than just a cursory glance.
Check in later today for the first of these BestBlogs. Who knows? It might be you.